Man in hospital after exposure to methane gas fumes
A 24 year old man was taken to Kelowna General Hospital Monday morning after becoming overwhelmed by toxic manure fumes while working at a local farm.
Kelowna Fire and EMS got the call shortly after 8:30 Monday morning and upon arrival at the Old Vernon Road farm, discovered the male to be unconscious and not talking.
According to Kelowna Fire officials, the young man noticed that his dog had keeled over and when he went to try and revive his dog, became overwhelmed by methane and H2S (Hydrogen Sulfide) gases.
Platoon Fire Captain, Dale Calhoun, says,"The young man was oxygen depleted and semi-unconscious when we arrived on the scene, a result of the methane gases from decomposing materials and with the hot temperatures that we have, the young man hit a pocket of methane gas that expelled out of the ground."
The young man's mother and brother were also taken to hospital as a precaution. His condition is thought to be serious as far as respiratory conditions from exposure to the fumes.
It's believed the young man's dog died as a result of exposure to the gases.